Saturday, August 18, 2012

Doing What Your Mother Did

Most of us do what our mother’s did. I heard a story once of a woman who was cooking a roast for the first time. She prepared the roast and hacked off the end, then put it in the pan and placed it in the oven. A friend was watching and asked why she hacked off the end. The woman said because that was how her mother had done it. But now she was curious and so she called up her mother and asked her why she did roasts that way. Her mother said it was because that was how Grandma did it. Really curious now, the woman called Grandma. Grandma informed her that she always hacked off the end of the roast because her pan was too small.
This story is funny, but it illustrates a good point. We tend to do what our parents did without even asking why. My example is the way I make my bed. My mother and her mother before her always pulled the comforter up and covered the pillows. So that is how I have always done it. But now I am looking for a fresh look and am considering folding it over and letting the pillows show.
What do you do? And more importantly, why? I would love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment